A mother load of cards from YouTuber LarryDecember 1, 2008 at 11:45 pm | Posted in My Cards, Trades | 1 Comment
Recently, I was contacted by a friendly guy from YouTube named Larry. He had watched my Donruss Threads box break videos, and he offered to send me the two base cards that I was missing from Threads and some other cards that I needed for sets that I’m building. You can check out his videos on YouTube here. So I gave him my address and then I was absolutely blown away when I received a package from him on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.
Here’s what I got in the mother load of cards from Larry:
- The two Donruss Threads that I needed (George Bush and Angel Villalona) to complete my Threads base set.
- The last two cards that I needed to complete my 2008 Upper Deck Series 2 set – the elusive Steve Trachsel (#428) and Freddy Sanchez (#619).
- Robinson Cano and Reggie Jackson (short print) from 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces.
- Bruce Jenner Sport Royalty short print from 2008 Goudey.
- Three cards that I needed for my 2008 Topps Heritage set: Chin-Lung Hu (#130), Matt Chico & Jason Bergmann “Pitching Partners” (#291), and Rick Ankiel black back (#324).
- 66 cards from 2008 Bowman that I needed (19 base cards, 31 prospect cards, and 16 chrome prospect cards). That completes my Bowman base set and takes a huge chunk off of my want lists for the prospect cards and chrome prospect cards!
As if completing three sets for me and giving me a bunch of cards that I needed for other sets wasn’t enough, Larry also threw in a pile of Rays cards:
- 2001 Fleer Focus Fred McGriff
- 2001 Upper Deck Minor League Josh Hamilton (Orlando Rays)
- 2001 Upper Deck Minor League checklist – Joe DiMaggio & Josh Hamilton
- 2002 Fleer Authentix Greg Vaughn
- 2007 Bowman Chrome prospect cards of Shawn O’Malley, Reid Brignac, Brian Henderson, Brandon Mann, Tony Peguero, and Desmond Jennings
- 2007 Bowman Chrome refractor Andy Sonnanstine
- 2007 Upper Deck SP Rookie Edition Carl Crawford, Scott Kazmir, and B.J. Upton – it’s funny because none of them were rookies, but I do really like the design of this set
- 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot “Sweet Swatch” memorabilia cards of Carl Crawford and Scott Kazmir
- 2008 Bowman Chrome B.J. Upton and Jeff Niemann
- 2008 Topps Updates & Highlights Scott Kazmir All-Star
- 2008 Tristar Projections Nick Barnese
- 2008 Upper Deck Piece of History Gold Parallel card of Carl Crawford (#35/75)
Not only that, but he also included two Prince Fielder cards: a “Box Score Memories” card from 2008 Piece of History #294/699, which features the box score from the game on 6/17/07 in which he hit a home run, and a 2008 SP Authentic card.
Rounding out the package were two great Don Mattingly Diamond King cards from 2008 Donruss Threads, the regular Diamond King and a parallel #011/250. Now I won’t have to go to eBay to get these cards!
For those of you scoring at home, that’s a total of 101 cards – almost enough to fill Don West’s swimming pool!
Here are scans of some of my favorites:
So I send out a huge thanks to Larry! I am working on a package of cards to send to him in return for his generosity.