3 Milestones and 1 ContestDecember 17, 2008 at 1:31 am | Posted in Blogs | 28 Comments
It seems like only yesterday that I wrote the first post for this blog. It was the night of June 14, 2008. I had been reading a bunch of card blogs for a few months, but I hadn’t seriously thought about starting my own. I thought it would be fun, but much too time-consuming (which it is). I eventually became a frequent comment leaver at my favorite blog, Wax Heaven. In May, JV from Treasure Never Buried started his blog, and I became a daily reader on the first day. I think it was a combination of Mario’s enthusiasm and seeing how JV started his blog from scratch that prompted me to start my own. Then, on that weekend in June, my wife and I were on vacation at Virginia Beach. On the night of the 14th, she fell asleep before I was really tired, so I sat down with my laptop, created a WordPress account, and started blogging. It’s been a great experience in many ways ever since then. I truly appreciate every reader, every comment, every email, every link to the blog, and every card trade that I’ve made since starting Fielder’s Choice.
Just within the last few days, the blog has reached three major milestones:
- December 14 was the 6-month anniversary of the day that I created the blog. My wife found it hilarious that I used the word “anniversary” to describe it.
- The blog received its 25,000th visitor (and now it’s already surpassed 26,000) last week. I know that there are other blogs with a larger readership base, and that a big percentage of my “hits” are probably from people who have come back more than once, but it’s still astounding to me that at least a few thousand different people have read what I’ve written.
- This is the 200th post that I’ve written for the blog.
All of this prompted me to add a new page to the blog. It’s a “Best Of” page where you can access all of the posts that I consider to be the best from the past six months. You can check it out here. I’ll be updating it monthly from now on. I also updated the About Me page for the first time since June.
Anyway, due to these three milestones all happening at the same time, and it being the holiday season, I’ve decided to celebrate by holding my first ever contest. It’s going to work differently than any contests that I’ve seen on other blogs. I’m actually going to steal an idea from a YouTube box breaker, Jawdy from Jawdy’s Basement. If you haven’t see his very entertaining box break videos, I strongly recommend checking out his channel. I recently purchased a 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot hobby box (tin) from Dave & Adam’s Card World. I am going to have a group break for this tin, but nobody has to pay. That’s right, I’m going to give away all of the cards in the tin!
So far, this sounds exactly like what Jawdy did, but here’s the difference. Rather than having random people participate (something like the first 30 people who leave a comment), I am automatically putting 30 people into the group break. And who are these 30 people? The list is composed of 30 people who in one way or another have contributed to making my blogging experience fun. Most of them are bloggers who I’ve made trades with in the past. There are also a couple of readers who I’ve made multiple trades with. And finally, I’ve rounded out the list with some other bloggers who I haven’t traded with, but were very helpful by linking to my blog back when it first started and by leaving lots of comments on my posts.
I certainly don’t want anyone to feel left out, but obviously I could only include 30 people. I gave the edge to bloggers over non-bloggers just because I know how hard it is to keep churning out blog posts regularly. And I picked the readers who I’ve made multiple trades with over people who I’ve made only one trade with. Finally, I’m limiting this to one entry per household, so Tatiana and Mario are only in one entry, and Kimaloo and Pete are only in one entry. Please don’t take offense if you’re not on the list; I’m definitely not trying to slight anyone! If there is anyone who is a glaring omission, I can assure you that it’s just an oversight.
Here’s the list of people who will be in the group break (not in any particular order):
- Mario from Wax Heaven (and Tatiana) – Mario has been more helpful than anyone in promoting my blog from day one!
- JV from Treasure Never Buried
- Gellman from Sports Cards Uncensored
- Mike (chemgod) from Bad Wax
- dayf from Cardboard Junkie
- Patricia and Lucy from Dinged Corners
- Scott from Hand Collated
- Chris from Stale Gum
- Bailey from The Nennth Inning
- Ryan from Trader Crack’s Card Blog
- Rob from Voice of the Collector
- Steve from White Sox Cards
- Joe from Cardboard Addiction
- Ben from Cardboard Icons
- Pete from Dropped Third Strike (and Kimaloo)
- Charlie from Hawk to the Hall
- Paul (deal) from Phungo
- Dan from Saints of the Cheap Seats
- PAB from The Player To Be Named Later
- Bill from Thorzul Will Rule
- Adam from Thoughts and Sox
- Eric Slette, a long-time reader who just started his own blog, The Pettitte Pursuit
- Larry – lwc4ut on YouTube
- Jawdy – JawdysBasement on YouTube
- Justin from Tampa Bay Sports Wasteland
- Marie and Sooz from Cardboard Problem
- Brian from 30-year old Cardboard
- Night Owl from Night Owl Cards
- JayBee from bdj610’s Topps Baseball Card Blog
- David from Tribe Cards
I’ve traded with everyone on this list except for Gellman, Chris, Brian, Night Owl, JayBee, and David. They make the list because they have great blogs that have linked to me for a long time and/or they’ve left a lot of comments. I hope to make trades with all of them in the future (except for Gellman, who usually doesn’t do trades).
Sweet Spot is my favorite high-end product, and with the 2008 version coming out soon (and retail already available), the price of 2007 Sweet Spot has gone way down. I was able to pick up this tin for only a little over $40. It will contain:
- One Sweet Spot on-card autograph on either a baseball, bat, or glove embedded in the card
- One “Sweet Beginnings” rookie on-card autograph with a mini-helmet embedded in the card
- Two “Sweet Swatch” memorabilia cards
- Two base cards numbered to 850
So there will be 6 cards to give away. Each person will be assigned to one team and they will receive any cards that I pull from that team. You can indicate your team preference by leaving a comment on this post before Thursday at 8:00 PM EST. If no one else picks that team, then that team is assigned to you. If multiple people pick a team, I’ll use random.org to choose one of them, and then the others will get a random team. If you don’t indicate a team preference, then you’ll get a random team. On Thursday night, I’ll post the team assignments, and after that you can make trades with anyone else until Saturday at 8:00 PM EST. On Saturday night, I’ll open the tin on video and post it to YouTube and the blog. If you win a card, I’ll mail it out to you next week!
Good luck to everyone, and happy holidays!
Update: I want to clarify a couple of things after reading the comments. Each card will go to the person who is assigned to the team that the player on the card is pictured with. So, for example, if Andrew Miller is in the tin, he’ll be in a Tigers uniform, so it’ll go to the person who’s assigned to the Tigers, and not the person who has the Marlins. Also, it’s OK to pick a team that someone else has already picked. For teams that multiple people want, I’ll pick one of those people at random using random.org, and whoever doesn’t get that team will get a random team.